Keep your garbage away from landfills, and turn it into the best organic fertilizer for your garden! The Worm Factor’s stackable multi-tray design makes it efficient and easily manageable. With virtually odorless operation, it can be used both indoors and outdoors to create nutrient-rich fertilizer all year. Each Worm Factory comes with a comprehensive instruction booklet with photos and illustrations, so even beginners can start composting quickly and easily.
The Worm Factory is available in three, four, or five tray options, and can be expanded to up to seven trays. Each unit includes a worm bedding kit to help you get started, and a lid with “quick-tips” for easy reference. An accessory kit and a pound of worms are also available as optional add-ons.
Taking Care of Your Worms
Worms are very low maintenance. They will be happy as long as they are fed, have enough moisture, and are at a temperature between 40-80 degrees. Worms should be protected from freezing, direct rain, and sun. Worms prefer the dark – they will burrow into the compost when exposed to light.
The best diet for your worms is 50% food scraps and 50% fiber and paper scraps. Do not use plastic or wax coated paper, food containers or containers coated with metallics. The smaller you break down the food before putting it in to the composter, the faster the composting process will be. Do not give them meat, dairy, citrus, spicy foods or foods with high salt content. Do not add pine, cedar, or fir sawdust. There is no need to feed your worms every day – just add scraps to your bin as you have them. Worms can survive up to two weeks without additional food. They can also eat up to half their weight in food every day! This means that if you begin with a pound of worms, they can get through a half pound of food every day. As your population grows, they’ll be able to process food at a faster rate. Worms will reproduce inside the unit according to their space limitations. They will regulate their own population, so you never need to worry about overpopulation in your bin. If your worms are happy with their environment, the population will double every three months.
Using Your Worm Factory
Start by adding your organic waste and a handful of worms to your bottom “working” tray. We recommend using red wigglers, which adapt well to the compost bin and are highly efficient eaters and reproducers. It’s recommended to start your compost bin with one pound of worms, which is roughly 800-1000 individual worms. The worms will start processing the food, and will begin to convert the waste into compost. Once the bottom tray is full, stack another tray on top. Each tray has a grid bottom, allowing the worms to migrate upward as new food is added, leaving behind a bottom tray full of nutrient rich compost.
Your first tray will take 1-3 months to finish processing, depending on how many worms you begin with and how regularly they’re fed. After the first tray is processed, the process will become faster. When your first tray is filled to the top, you can add your second tray. All you have to do to set up the second tray is add shredded paper or leaves as bedding for the worms. Then add a handful of food to entice the worms to migrate up to the next level. It may take a full week for the entire population of worms to move up to the next level. They will move between trays to finish working on any remaining food scraps. If you worms are not migrating after two weeks, there may be a food product added that they don’t like, such as dairy, meat, or citrus. It is also possible that the bedding is too wet or dry.
The material in a worm bin should be moist to touch, but not dripping wet. To tell if your bedding is too wet, take a handful of bedding and compost in your hand and squeeze it tightly in your fist. If more than a couple drops of water come out, you have too much moisture. If this is the case, stir in some dry shredded paper or cardboard to soak up the moisture and return your compost to ideal conditions. If the bin seems too dry, add some newspaper that has been soaked in water and wrung out.
If maintained properly, the worm bin will not smell. The keys to maintaining an odorless composter is to control moisture and ventilation.
The Benefits of Composting with the Worm Facotry
- Saves Space: The Worm Factory’s stacking tray system allows it to have the largest capacity for compost in the smallest amount of space.
- Saves Time: The Worm Factor’s system separates the worms from the compost for you. Because the worms continually eat through the waste in stacked trays, compost is produced at a faster rate.
- Easy To Manage: Each tray weighs only 12.5 lbs when full, making lifting and arranging the trays effortless and easy. The detailed instruction manual makes the setup process fast, and provides helpful tips on how to manage your composter year-round.
- Odorless: When managed correctly, the Worm Factory is virtually odorless, making it great for indoor use!
- Provides the Best Compost: Worms produce the best all-natural, nutrient-rich compost, helping your garden to thrive!
- Dimensions (3-tray system): 16” l x 16” w x 21” h, with an additional 3.5” height for each tray added
- Made in the USA from high-quality post-consumer recycled plastic
- Operational in temperatures between 45 and 85 degrees
- Weight (empty 3-tray system): 11 lbs, with an additional 1 lb for each tray added
- Built in collection tray and spigot for easy draining
- Houses four to five thousand worms, which can consume 3-6 lbs of food per week
- Available in black, terra cotta, and green
- 1 lb. of red wiggler composting worms (+39.95$)
- Accessory Kit (+12.95$): Includes a hand rake, scraper, and thermometer, making it easier to manage your Worm Factory composting system.
5 Year Manufacturer's Warranty
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Dimensions||16” l x 16” w x 21” h|
|Assembly TIme||5 Minutes|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Ground Only (No express)
Questions about the Worm Factory Composter
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!