Corn Gluten contains 100% corn gluten meal, a naturally occurring substance, which inhibits the growth of a seed's tiny feeder roots. This causes the seedlings to die before they germinate. Since most weeds germinate by seed corn gluten will kill the seeds before they sprout.
Corn gluten meal offers a non-toxic, yet effective alternative to chemical-based weed and feed products for weed control in gardens and lawns, paths and driveways.
Features & Benefits:
- Organic fertilizer feeds lawns naturally
- Will not burn plants, nutrients released over time
- Helps build strong turf
- Use for pre-emergent weed control
- Comes in granular form
- Easy to apply by hand or using a spreader
- Safe and environmentally friendly
- Meets National Organic Program (NOP) standards
- OMRI certified for organic use
- Made in the USA
As a fertilizer, corn gluten meal is a rich natural source of nitrogen (8-0-0). Apply any time of year to fertilize your lawn, shrubs and transplants. Nitrogen is released steadily over a 3 to 4 month period after application. Nutrients come from organic, non-GMO corn gluten meal with 100% active ingredients. No animal manure or fillers.
Corn gluten acts as a natural "pre-emergent" - it inhibits seed germination by drying out a seed as soon as it begins to sprout. These qualities make corn gluten an ideal 'weed n feed' product.
Among the weeds controlled with pre-emergent application of corn gluten are crabgrass, creeping bentgrass, smart weed, dandelions, redroot pigweed, purslane, lambsquarter, foxtail, barnyard grass, and Bermuda grass.
Apply to lawns in spring, around when forsythia and early spring bulbs are in bloom. Apply again to lawns in the fall. For transplants, apply corn gluten immediately after transplanting to prevent weeds from sprouting in soil and competing with your plants. Effects are cumulative. Results improve with repeated use over time.
How To Use:
Apply 20 lbs. per 1,000 square feet of lawn, garden or flowerbed area each spring and fall.
Corn gluten can be applied by hand or by using a spreader. The spreader setting depends on the brand of spreader, but for a Scott spreader, your setting should be 12-13. You can tell pretty easily once you start spreading if the setting is too high or low.
Notes on use from Dr. Nick Christians at Iowa State University:
Corn gluten meal works by inhibiting the root formation of germinating plants. It generally does not inhibit the roots of mature plants or transplants until you reach very high rates (80 pounds/1000 sq. ft. or higher). It should be applied before germination of the weeds. The weed will germinate and usually forms a shoot, but does not form a root. After germination, a short drying period is needed to kill the plants that have germinated but have not formed a root. Timing is critical. If it is too wet during germination, the plants will recover and form a root (this is also true of chemical pre-emergent herbicides).
If it does not rain in 5 days of application, water it in with approximately 1/4 inch of water. Then leave a drying period after germination.
It will remain effective for about 5 to 6 weeks following germination.
It does not work well with seeded garden crops unless they are seeded deeply (radishes seem to be the exception and there may be others). Transplants or mature plants generally work well in beds treated with corn gluten. Some producers put down a band, work it into the upper inch of soil, and then put the transplant in the band.
In garden and crop production, growers generally work out their own system, depending on their understanding of the crop they are growing and the weeds they are trying to control.
Organic corn gluten is composed of 100% granulated corn gluten meal with nothing added. People and pets can use the lawn immediately after application. Corn gluten will not harm beneficial insects, soil organisms, pond or stream life.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Coverage||2500 square feet|
|Key Feature||Organic fertilizer (8-0-0) and pre-emergent weed control|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Corn Gluten Organic Fertilizer 8-0-0 - 50 lbs
- From M.C. at 4/5/13 9:49 AM
- From Sara at 2/10/14 9:17 AM
- We have 2 established asparagus beds which are over-run with the weeds listed as being susceptible to corn gluten meal. But what about our asparagus?
- Corn gluten prevents new weeds from sprouting by drying them out as they germinate. Corn gluten does not eradicate existing weeds. For your asparagus beds, we suggest hand pulling the surface weeds, then mulching the bed, leaving a clear space above the root crowns where the new asparagus emerge. Presumably you have already clipped down last season's stalks to about 1" above the ground. These stubs help you know where not to mulch, since the new shoots will be coming from amid the stubs.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From Courtney at 7/14/14 10:30 AM
- Would this product benefit my vegetable garden plants?
- Corn gluten will prevent seeds from germinating, including vegetable seeds. (Some larger seeds such as corn, beans and squash may grow through corn gluten in the soil.) Corn gluten will not harm established plants, and does have value as a fertilizer, but if you plan on sowing seeds in the months ahead then it's not a good idea to use corn gluten in vegetable beds. There are many other sources of nitrogen for vegetable gardens which are 'seed safe'.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!