Use coconut coir as a growing medium and soil amendment for garden beds, containers and landscapes. It conserves water, improves soil structure, and helps plants retain nutrients for longer.
Features & Benefits:
- Coir block expands to 16-20 gallons
- Easy to use - just add water
- Holds 8-10 times its volume in water
- Covers a 3' x 3' area to a depth of 2.5"
- Replaces peat moss, rock wool or perlite
- Use as a mulch to conserve water and suppress weeds
- Retains and releases nutrients over time
- Soil amendment for sandy or clay soils
- Coir is screened, washed and graded for horticultural use
- 100% organic, biodegradable, renewable
What is Coconut Coir?
Coconut coir is a natural by-product of coconut harvesting. It consists of the coarse fibers extracted from the husks of coconut shells. It is a renewable resource.
How to Use:
Coir is compressed into blocks for easy handling and storage. Adding water causes the coir to expand 8-10 times its original volume. Soak coir in water for one hour to expand to 16-20 gallons.
To use coconut coir as a growing medium, mix with topsoil and add compost to provide organic nutrients.
For garden beds and landscapes, add one part coir to two parts topsoil. For containers and potted plants, add one part coir to two parts soil or potting mix.
Seed Starting Mix
Coir is great for starting seeds and cuttings because it maintains a consistent level of moisture and it is naturally disease and weed free. It can be used as a hydroponic growing medium to facilitate seed germination.
When used in sandy soils, coir helps to keep nutrients and moisture close to roots instead of leaching away. When used in clay soils, coir breaks up hard compacted soil, so nutrients and moisture move through the soil.
Mix with water to expand coir. Add two parts coir to one part green organic material. Use 1:1 ratio when mixing with brown organic material. For best results, allow coir to dry in the sun for 30 minutes to evaporate excess moisture.
Coir can be used as bedding material for worm composters. It controls moisture and improves the quality of worm castings, which go into your garden.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Weight||12 pounds (5 kilograms)|
|Dimensions||12" x 12" x 6" (compressed block)|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
|Key Feature||Organic, renewable growing medium made from coconut husks|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Coconut Coir
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- A tree planted for every order with the Trees for the Future Foundation
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!