Coconut Coir is a 100% natural by-product of harvesting coconut. It consists of coarse fiber extracted from the husks of coconut shells. Coir is an excellent soil amendment for potted plants, containers and raised garden beds because of its structural stability, water holding capacity, drainage, and neutral pH.
When used in sandy soils, coir helps to keep nutrients and moisture close to roots instead of leaching away. When used in clay soils, coir breaks up hard compacted soil, so nutrients and moisture move through the soil.
Features & Benefits:
- 5 kilogram block expands to 20 gallons (2.5 cubic feet) coir fiber
- Holds between 8-10 times its weight in water
- Helps plants retain nutrients longer and develop stronger root systems
- Makes plants more resilient to disease, pathogens and weeds
- Improves soil structure, drainage & water holding capacity
- Coir is pH neutral when added to soil
- Sustainable, renewable alternative to peat moss, rock wool or perlite
- In composts, coir improves aeration, enhances decomposition, and absorbs moisture
- Compressed blocks are easy to store and handle
Coconut Coir - How to Use:
Coir is compressed into blocks for easy, convenient storage. Adding water causes the coconut coir to expand 8-10 times its compressed size. A compressed brick, block or bale should be soaked in water for at least 1 hour before using. The volume of expanded coir depends on how much water you add.
Transplants & seedlings: Coir is great for starting seeds and cuttings because it maintains a consistent level of moisture and it is naturally disease and weed free. It can be used as a hydroponic growing medium to facilitate seed germination.
Containers & potted plants: Add 1 part coir to 2 parts soil or potting mix and add compost to use as a growing medium.
Raised beds & outdoor gardens: Add 1 part coir to 2 parts topsoil.
Composting: Mix with water to expand coir. Add 2 parts coir to 1 part green organic material. Use 1:1 ratio when mixing with brown organic material. For best results, allow coir to dry in the sun for 30 minutes to evaporate excess moisture.
Coconut coir is an organic, renewable growing medium and soil amendment and it's a sustainable alternative to peat moss, rock wool or perlite. Coir is also easier to hydrate, it lasts longer in soil, and it is naturally free of pathogens, fungal spores and weeds.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Dimensions||13 x 13 x 6 inches|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
|Key Feature||Organic soil amendment and growing medium made from coconut husks|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Coconut Coir - 5 kg
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- A tree planted for every order with the Trees for the Future Foundation
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!