The LifeStraw Mission gravity powered water purifier removes 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of protozoa, and 99.999% of viruses, while purifying an impressive 18,000 liters of water (4,750 gallons).
Simply fill the BPA-Free bag, hang, and enjoy clean, purified drinking water. It’s Ideal for camping, group hikes, expeditions, and is available in 5 liter or 12 liter sizes.
Features & Benefits:
- Filters up to 4,750 gallons or 18,000 liters of water to 0.02 microns (20 nm)
- Removes minimum 99.999% of viruses (>LOG 5 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.99% of protozoan cysts (>LOG 4 reduction)
- Requires no electrical power, batteries, or replacement parts
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- Flow-rate of 9-12 liters/hour
- Roll-top dry bag is lightweight, compact and easy to fill; fill-marker windows on bag display water level
- Included shoulder strap makes carrying easy, while also enabling the bag to be hung from a tree
- Designed to handle turbid and muddy water
- Internationally recognized & award-winning water filter
How LifeStraw Mission Works:
LifeStraw Mission uses a highly efficient method of purification that requires no chemicals, batteries or moving parts. Water poured into the purifier moves down the tube, while being forced through narrow hollow fibers. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers, but bacteria, viruses, protozoa and other contaminants are trapped inside and are flushed out by backwashing.
- Easy-to-remove, 80-micron pre-filter inside bag; also includes extra pre-filter screens
- Purifier is easy to clean in the field, thanks to integrated back-flush bulb
- All raw materials are US FDA compliant or equivalent
- Water passes through the meter-long blue PVC hose and gravity creates sufficient pressure on the membrane cartridge in order to reach a high flow rate.
- Ultra filtration takes place in the hollow fiber membrane cartridge - a pore size of 20 nanometers (0.02 microns) retains bacteria, viruses, parasites and fine dirt particles.
- The blue tap is turned to release purified water.
- Backwash the membrane by squeezing the red backwash bulb 3 times with both taps closed and then releasing the dirty water from the red tap. Water from the red tap should never be consumed.
For every LifeStraw® water filter sold, we provide a child in Africa with clean water for an entire school year.
When you purchase any type of LifeStraw® filter, we use part of the funds to donate LifeStraw® Community institutional water purifiers to schools in Africa. LifeStraw® Community is specifically designed to deliver clean, safe water to school children by removing waterborne pathogens and dirt commonly found in source water.
Since 2014, we provided 316,000 school children or 631 schools in rural Kenya with safe, clean drinking water, thanks to sales of LifeStraw in North America. Thank you for supporting this mission!
The Science Behind LifeStraw:
Backed by serious research in our international labs and extensive testing in the field, LifeStraw and LifeStraw Family have been distributed to nearly every major international humanitarian disaster since 2005 and in broad public health campaigns in the millions.
The same high-tech design used in places like Haiti, Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Pakistan and Bangladesh is now available in the USA and Canada.
Does the LifeStraw Mission require a power source?
The LifeStraw Mission is a gravity filter and does not require any power source. No batteries or electricity is needed.
Does the LifeStraw Mission remove viruses with iodine?The LifeStraw Mission filters out contaminants without electricity, moving parts or chemicals. It will remove 99.999% of viruses through advanced filtering technology.
Does the LifeStraw Mission filter out salt water and/or chemicals?
The LifeStraw Mission is designed for the backcountry and will filter out 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites and 99.999% of viruses and. Salt water and chemicals will not be removed.
Can I buy replacement parts or filters for the LifeStraw Mission?There are no replacement parts or filters available for the LifeStraw Mission. The LifeStraw Mission filters 18,000L of water. This means that if used daily, a family of 5 can receive clean drinking water for 3 years.
How will I know when the LifeStraw Mission has reached 18,000L of water?LifeStraw Mission has an auto-clog mechanism. If the product does not deliver water despite the backwashing and pre-filter cleaning, it means that the life of the product is over. LifeStraw Mission will filter on average about 10 liters of water an hour and can filter more than 18,000 liters over the product's lifecycle. That is enough to provide a typical family of five up to three years worth of clean and safe water.
Can I drink pool water with LifeStraw products?
Pool water contains chlorine and other chemicals. LifeStraw products can only filter out bacteria and parasites, not chemicals.
How do you know when your LifeStraw has reached capacity?
When your LifeStraw has reached capacity, it will no longer be able to draw water through the filter. To extend the life of your LifeStraw, please follow the instructions on the manual to properly back flush the unit.
How does your donation model work?
For every LifeStraw product sold, one school child in Africa receives clean drinking water for an entire school year. This year, we will be providing clean drinking water to 500 schools in Kenya. For more information, check out our Follow The Liters campaign.
What is the shelf life of LifeStraw products?
LifeStraw products use mechanical filters to remove contaminants from the water source. No chemicals or moving parts are involved within the filtering process, meaning nothing will expire. If stored in room temperature, the LifeStraw will last indefinitely until it reaches capacity...even after use!
LifeStraw is manufactured by Vestergaard Frandsen, a Swiss company specializing in disease control products for developing countries. Their core business model is centered around corporate social responsibility, and helping countries reach their United Nations’ Millenium Development Goals with products designed to prevent vector and water-borne diseases.
Awards & Accolades:
LifeStraw has received significant accolades since its original design was invented in 2005. Time magazine named LifeStraw the "Best Invention of 2005." In 2008, it won the Saatchi & Saatchi Award for "World Changing Ideas." Esquire called LifeStraw the "Innovation of the Year." Forbes stated LifeStraw is "one of the ten things that will change the way we live."
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter:
LifeStraw is the award-winning personal water filter, designed to provide you with safe, clean drinking water in any situation. The ideal water filter for hiking & camping, travel, emergency preparedness & survival, the LifeStraw makes contaminated or suspect water safe to drink. Please click here to learn more about LifeStraw Personal Water Filter.
Interested in buying LifeStraw Personal Water Filter from a dealer near you? Click to see our store locator map, with a complete list of retail stores selling the LifeStraw.
Wholesale Inquiries: Eartheasy is the master wholesale distributor for the USA and Canada. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on selling LifeStraws in your retail store.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Water Filtered Per LifeStraw||4,755 Gallons|
|Origin||Made in South Korea|
- Shipping Dimensions:
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
Questions about the LifeStraw Mission
- From Katerina at 10/3/15 8:32 AM
- Are there replacement filters available for the Mission Water Purifier or do you have to buy the entire system again?
- There are 4 replacement pre-filters included with each LifeStraw Mission. These go in the blue bag.
The ultrafiltration cartridge purifies 18,000 liters of water, so users will likely never get to the end of it. There are no replacements for that.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From Sally Thomas at 12/30/15 11:49 AM
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- A tree planted for every order with the Trees for the Future Foundation
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!