Designed by artist Olafur Eliasson and engineer Frederik Ottesen, Little Sun is a practical light source as well as a work of art. Featuring the worlds most efficient solar cell, this light packs a lot of punch - it will last a long time, is extremely durable, and boasts an attractive design. But that's not all. Buying a lamp makes a global impact too: by buying a Little Sun you help ensure affordable solar light gets to people who need it the most, the 1.6 billion people in the world without electricity.
Applications & Uses
Little Sun is perfect for camping, at the beach, festivals, BBQs, or hiking – and it makes a great gift. Kids love it. Light your garden or balcony, or use it indoors to brighten your home. It’s a fun, accessible introduction to the benefits of solar power and sustainable energy. Featuring two light levels, it’s easy to use: 5 hours of charging in the sun produces 10 hours of soft light or 4 hours of bright light.
Little Sun comes with a detachable strap, allowing it to be hung from your neck, hooks, backpack, or a tree – or you can remove the strap and use it as an attractive table lamp. Little Sun puts the power of the sun in the palm of your hand – creating safe, convenient, sustainable light you can take with you wherever you go. Includes 3 AAA batteries.
Features & Benefits:
- An attractive, high-quality solar-powered LED lamp developed by artist Olafur Eliasson and engineer Frederik Ottesen
- Developed as a ‘socially conscious’ lamp with proceeds from each sale contributing to getting clean, reliable and affordable light to people living in areas of the world with no electricity
- Features the world’s most efficient solar cell, produced by SunPower, industry leaders in solar manufacturing
- Specially engineered to keep the electronics cool even while charging in the sun, and the ventilation of the solar panel ensures best efficiency
- Contains 3 AAA rechargeable batteries and includes an optional lanyard
- Very strong, sturdy and durable with an approximate lifespan of 2 years when used daily
- Received official certification in 2012 from Lighting Africa, a joint IFC and World Bank program
- ROHS and ISO-certified for quality and consistency in production standards
- Was recently introduced into Centre Pompidou’s permanent design collection and has been nominated for Design Museum’s 2013 Design of the Year Award
- Great for reading, cooking, camping/travelling, festivals, outdoor lighting and more!
- Main Body: made from UV and weather resistant, recyclable ABS plastic
- Dimensions: diameter 4.75 inches (12 cm), depth 1.15 inches (2.9 cm)
- Weight: 4.25 oz (120 g)
- Solar panel: 60 x 60 mm monocrystaline solar panel made from highly efficient SunPower solar cells, 5 V, 0.48 Watt
- Battery: 3 x AAA 1.2 V Ni-MH rechargeable batteries with 600 mAh
- LED: Duris E 5 LED from Osram, version 2.0. LED runs at 0.5 Watts and emits 40 Lm @ 120 mA. Optical efficiency 112 lm/W at 5000 K
- Switch: Knitter-switch TSS 61 R LF with fluorescent silicone boot and PIC FM8PE53 allow for 2 light levels
Charging & Use
To charge, place the Little Sun lamp in the sun with its solar panel facing upwards. Charging the lamp for a minimum of 5 hours in the sun produces 10 hours of soft light or 4 hours of bright light. Press the white button once for soft light, twice for bright light, or a third time to turn the lamp off. When it is overcast, Little Sun will take longer to reach full charge.
Every Purchase Makes an Impact
When you buy a Little Sun, you receive a high-quality solar-powered lamp – but that’s not all. A portion of every purchase goes towards bringing light to some of the 1.6 billion people in the world living 'off grid.' By delivering business starter kits and micro-entrepreneurial training to local off-grid entrepreneurs, Little Sun builds up sustainable structures which not only deliver affordable solar lamps to people with no electricity, but also generates local profits, creates local jobs, and reduces the substantial environmental impact and costs associated with using kerosene lamps.
Currently Little Suns are being distributed in 8 African countries, including Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Burundi, Senegal, Nigeria, South Africa and Zimbabwe.
Exhibition and Projects
A global project connecting the world through sharing light, Little Sun engages with partners such as art institutions, international agencies, NGOs, and private sector to raise global awareness of energy access and solar power. Working with its partners, Little Sun has so far for example put energy access on the agenda at: Tate Modern, London; COP 18 Climate Change Conference, Doha, Qatar; World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Cape Town, South Africa; the UN General Assembly, US; Art Basel Miami Beach, US; Roskilde Festival, Denmark; and Coachella Festival, US.
Millennium Development Goals
Access to safe, clean and sustainable light is essential to achieving the Millennium Development Goals as outlined by the United Nations, specifically falling under these categories:
Little Sun provides light so businesses can remain open later, which increases their income. Using Little Sun also saves people 90% over a 2-year period compared to Kerosene.
Little Sun provides light for children to study or read in the evenings, which leads to children performing better in school and staying in school.
As they spend more hours in the home, women and children suffer disproportionally from the indoor air pollution, breathing related problems, burns, and fires caused by kerosene lanterns and candles. Little Sun light provides a safe alternative that emits no smoke and is non-toxic.
With solar powered light, medical care that must be performed at night becomes safer to provide than under kerosene lamps. Little Sun lamps are safe, clean and eliminate indoor air pollution, breathing related problems, burns and fires caused by kerosene lanterns and candles, while supplying light that is 10 times brighter.
While polluting homes at the local level, using kerosene for lighting impacts the environment on a global scale, releasing 190 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year. Little Sun is an environmentally sustainable solution.
Press & Media
"Bloomberg Philanthropies makes $5 Million Impact Investment in Little Sun, creators of Solar Powered Lamps Delivering Light to Off-Grid Populations in Africa": Please click here to learn more and read the article.
1 Year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Energy efficient LED light that is charged by the sun.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Weight||4.25 oz (120 g)|
|Dimensions||4.75" x 4.75" x 1.15" (inches)|
|Key Feature||Solar powered LED lamp|
|Shipping Dimensions||5" x 5" x 1.3"|
- Shipping Dimensions:
- 5" x 5" x 1.3"
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US & Canada
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Little Sun Solar Lamp
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!