The Water Garden is a self-cleaning fish tank that grows organic sprouts and herbs! In this low-maintenance, mini aquaponics ecosystem, the fish feed the plants and plants clean the water – no water changes required! The natural waste produced by the fish is pumped up to the plants, and broken down into nutrients the plants need to grow. The clean water then cycles back down to the fish tank, creating a sustainable tabletop ecosystem.
Perfect as a hands-on family or classroom project, or a unique gift for the pet or gardening enthusiast in your life.
Features & Benefits:
- Grow fresh organic sprouts and herbs
- Fish feed the plants, and plants clean the water for your fish
- Great for kitchen counters or school classrooms
- Includes everything you need to get started
- Seed subscription to keep you growing all year
- Free access to interactive aquaponics curriculum
- Made in the USA
- Fish tank (3-gallons) and gravel
- Organic wheatgrass and radish sprout seeds
- Grow stones
- Natural fertilizer
- Coupon for a Betta fish
- Fish food
- Silent, submersible water pump
Inside the Water Garden
The Water Garden works as an aquaponic system. Aquaponics is an an ancient sustainable method of farming that combines aquaculture (fish farming) and hydroponics (growing plants in nutrient-rich water). Here's how the self-cleaning cycle works:
- 1) Your fish produces nutrient-rich waste.
- 2) In regular aquariums, the nutrient-rich waste builds up and becomes harmful to your fish. In the Water Garden, the plants are continually taking up these nutrients as food to grow, cleaning the water for your fish.
- 3) The clean filtered water drops back down to your fish, and the cycle continues!
We recommend keeping one large male betta fish in your Water Garden. Feel free to add decorations to your Water Garden as bettas enjoy places to hide and swim around. Consult your local pet store on the preferences of your fish to make sure its home is a happy one!
The award-winning Water Garden was beautifully designed in 2016 with many new features. It has double the growing space of the previous version, the AquaFarm. The grow bed is now completely removable while the pump is plugged in, so it's much easier to access the aquarium.
The new Water Garden includes free access to accompanying STEM educational curriculum for kids ages 8-15. Learn more about the science inside your fish tank, and the history and benefits of aquaponics.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Dimensions||13.5" L x 9.5" W x 13.5" H|
|Key Feature||Self-cleaning fish tank that grows food|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex, UPS, or USPS
Questions about the Water Garden
- From Julie at 3/14/15 9:44 AM
- From Rachel at 9/24/14 12:33 PM
- What other kinds of seeds can I plant beside wheatgrass and basil?
- Leafy greens and herbs grow best in the AquaFarm, and we include organic wheatgrass and basil seeds in each unit. Alfalfa, radish sprouts, parsley, cilantro, mint, arugula, mixed greens, and other varieties of basil also grow well in the AquaFarm.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From Dominique at 3/18/14 7:55 PM
nice idea and cool design, but what I ask myself is: how does the fish feel - so alone, without a stone or little cave to hide, a plant to play around and a friend or partner? Wouldn´t it be much more nice to give him a companion? Does your system succeed one more inhabitant and a waterplant?
- We recommend keeping one large male betta fish in your AquaFarm. If you’d like to keep more than one fish in your AquaFarm, we recommend following the 1-inch of fish per gallon rule of thumb. 2-3 fancy guppies or zebra danios are other recommendations of ours. Please consult your local pet shop about stocking a 3 gallon tank.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From Melissa at 3/14/14 2:36 PM
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!