This planter is extremely durable and beautifully made, with lots of care put into every detail. It is made from FSC certified sustainably sourced European white oak, which has been plain sawn to preserve the cathedral grain pattern throughout the piece.
In addition to the planting table, the set includes a cover with Plexiglas window detail, to add a greenhouse effect when your plants need extra warmth. The cover is fully removable and has 2 separate windows on hinges, allowing for either both or just one of the windows to remain propped open.
Dimensions are 40.5 x 15.5 x 43 inches (LWH) when fully assembled, with an 8” planter depth. The cover and windows are sloped to create extra room inside the planter. The raised height is back-friendly and a good accessible gardening choice, with the bottom of the table raised 26” above the ground.
A PLA liner is included with your planter, as well as plastic peg feet to protect your decks and flooring. You will also appreciate the easy assembly, as most parts come pre-assembled. Comes treated with a natural plant based wax oil.
Features & Benefits:
- Elegant, beautifully made, strong and long lasting white oak planting table with greenhouse cover (2 piece set)
- Dimensions are 40.5 x 15.5 x 43 inches (LWH) when fully assembled, with an 8” planter depth. Cover only dimensions: 40.5 x 15.5 x 6.6 inches. Planter only dimensions: 39.5 x 14.5 x 36 inches.
- FSC certified, sustainably sourced white European oak
- Plain sawn oak with a visible cathedral grain pattern
- Cover on hinges with plexiglas window detail creates a greenhouse effect and is removable
- Includes oak plugs/screw caps for added esthetics
- Comes with 1 PLA bioplastic permeable liner
- Plastic leg caps will prevent the scratching of floor/patio boards
- Perfect for decks, patios and gardens
- Easy to assemble with no additional tools needed
- Includes detailed instructions in 4 languages (English, French, German, Italian)
- An accessible gardening option
The Benefits of Oak
Oak is a beautiful wood, and even more importantly, one of the strongest and most durable hard wood options available. It has traditionally been used for centuries in furniture, ship building, cabinetry, wine/spirit barrels, construction, and more.
Oak is much less susceptible to UV and moisture decay than other woods such as cedar. While oak is normally a bigger initial investment, it is more resistant to weathering, insects and fungus, will retain its coloring longer, requires less maintenance and will be better on your pocketbook over time. Not to mention, it is gorgeous.
European white oak, specifically, is one of the most desired varieties on the market as it has a beautiful, warm and even color tone. It also last longer and is much more resistant to rot than other varieties of oak, making it superior in its class.
What to grow in your Terres de Ville White Oak Planter
The planter depth is 20cms (8 inches). For best results, you should limit your plantings to shallow-rooted varieties. These planters are ideally suited to salad gardens, since common salad crops require minimal soil depth.
The success of your container garden will depend on the quality of the soil and your attention to watering. Here are suggestions for plantings which are appropriate for the Urban Garden Grow Table:
Shallow rooted vegetables:
Lettuce, spinach, kale, tomatoes (eg. cherry, grape, roma), carrots (eg. chantenay, nantes, ladyfinger), strawberries, beets, radishes, smaller varieties of potatoes, onions (eg. white, yellow, sweet spanish), garlic, green onions, chives, cabbage, chinese cabbage, bok choy, various types of beans, kohlrabi.
Nurseries and seed catalogues offer miniature vegetable varieties, sometimes called “dwarf”, “midget”, “baby”, “mini” or “space miser” which are developed to produce in small spaces and shallow soil conditions. An advantage with these varieties is they often mature earlier than standard sized vegetables. Examples include baby bell peppers, spacemiser zucchini, dwarf bush beans, mini-cucumbers, little gem cos lettuce, dwarf edible pod peas, and small bush tomatoes. These varieties are ideal for the Urban Garden Grow Table.
“Cascading” varieties also enable crops grown in shallow planters to yield productive crops. For example, cascading cherry tomatoes, dwarf cucumbers and melons.
Herbs usually prefer hot growing conditions and can tolerate the occasional drying of the soil. For this reason, herbs lend themselves to planter gardens. For example: Rosemary, thyme, mint, sage, lavender, basil, coriander, chives, parsley, wheatgrass, barley grass, sprouts.
There are also “trailing” varieties, such a trailing Rosemary, which increase the yield from herbs grown in crowded or shallow conditions.
Shrubs and Flowers:
Heathers, miniature roses, rhododendrons, azaleas, lavender.Perennials: daylilies, daffodils and most bulb plants, ferns, hostas, Campanula, Phlox. Annuals: petunias, zinnia, geranium, impatiens, pansies, primulas, begonias and most flowering annuals.
It is important to remember that with any planter or shallow container, gardeners will have to pay a close eye to sufficient watering. Shallow containers will dry out faster than ground-based crops. Mulching, of course, will help to retain water and is advisable with any planter-grown crops.
For more information, see our article on soil depth requirements
Sustainably sourced white European oak.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
|Dimensions||40.5 x 15.5 x 43 inches|
|Key Feature||Solid white European oak Patio Planter|
|Assembly TIme||40 Minutes|
|Shipping Dimensions||2 boxes: 39.5”x14.5”x36” and 40.5”x15.5”x6.6”|
- Shipping Dimensions:
- 2 boxes: 39.5”x14.5”x36” and 40.5”x15.5”x6.6”
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Terres De Ville Solid White Oak Planter Set (With Greenhouse Cover)
- From Pauline at 10/15/14 5:40 PM
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- A tree planted for every order with the Trees for the Future Foundation
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!