Use Coconut Coir as an organic growing medium and soil amendment for your garden and potted plants. It conserves water, improves soil structure, and helps plants retain nutrients for longer. By using coir in your garden your plants will develop stronger root systems, and become more resistant to disease and weeds.
Features & Benefits:
- Natural renewable soil amendment
- Coconut coir block weighs 11 pounds (5 kg)
- Moistened coir expands to approximately 16-20 gallons
- High water holding capacity – holds up to 10 times its volume in water
- Retains and releases nutrients over an extended period of time
- Soil conditioner for sandy or clay soils
- Replaces peat moss, rock wool, and perlite
What is Coconut Coir?
Coir is a natural by-product of coconut harvesting. It consists of the coarse fibers extracted from the husks of coconut shells, a renewable resource. Coconut coir is screened, washed and graded for premium horticultural use.
How To Use:
Coconut Coir is compressed into bricks for easy handling and storage. Adding water causes the coir to expand in size. Soak coir brick in water for 1 hour before using. It expands to 16-20 gallons.
To use coconut coir as a growing medium, mix with topsoil and add compost to provide organic nutrients. For garden beds, add one part coir to two parts topsoil. For containers and potted plants, add one part coir to two parts soil or potting mix.
Coir is great for starting seeds and cuttings because it maintains a consistent level of moisture and it is naturally weed free and disease resistant.
When used in sandy soils, coir helps keep nutrients and moisture close to roots instead of leaching away. When used in clay soils, coir breaks up hard compacted soil, so nutrients and moisture move through the soil.
Coir fiber is carbon-rich and used to balance nitrogen-rich materials such as kitchen scraps and grass clippings in the compost pile. Add two parts coir to one part green organic material. Use 1:1 ratio when mixing with brown organic material.
Coir is used as bedding material for worm compost bins. It controls moisture and improves the quality of worm castings, which go into your garden.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Weight||11 pounds (5 kilograms)|
|Dimensions||12" x 12" x 6"|
|Key Feature||Natural growing medium and soil amendment made from coconut husks|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Coconut Coir
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- A tree planted for every order with the Trees for the Future Foundation
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!