This classic chicken coop is modeled after the chicken ark that British hen-keepers have used for decades. The large coop is portable and provides a comfortable and healthy space for roosting, laying and scratching. Move your coop every few days to let the chickens mow and fertilize your lawn.
By moving your chicken coop around your hens will have free access to fresh grass and bugs, which will add to their health and the nutritional value of the eggs that they are producing each day. A portable coop will also allow you to bring your hens inside a garage or shed during extreme weather conditions, protecting them from frostbite or high wind situations.
Gardeners can set the coop directly on a garden bed where the chickens will scratch out insects and clear and weeds and leave the bed freshly fertilized. Then the coop can be moved to another bed to repeat the process. The beds need to remain unplanted for some time, though, to let the fertilizer mellow.
All Handcrafted Chicken Coops are made using plantation-grown, renewable Douglas Fir timber. Douglas fir is naturally pest-repellent, which will help keep your birds lice-free. It'll take you around an hour to assemble this coop, using basic tools.
- Space for 5 medium laying hens or 7 bantams
- 32 square feet of run space that provides shelter and access to sunlight
- 18 square feet of roosting and nesting space secure from predators
- All coops are stained with non-toxic, low VOC, weather resistant finish
- Efficient use of space with run covered by the roost for weather protection
- Design satisfies birds’ natural roosting instincts with protected area
- Two full length end doors for easy access to feed, water and let chickens roam
- Two nesting boxes with external egg-collection doors
- Removable upper side door for easy cleaning of roosting chamber
- Hand made and flat-packed for easy shipping and assembly
All handcrafted chicken coops are made using plantation-grown, renewable Douglas Fir timber. Douglas Fir has the added benefit of a natural woody scent that repels insects, keeping your birds lice-free. All coops are stained with a non-toxic, low VOC, weather resistant paint.
Keeping chickens is a great way to practice self-sufficiency. Their manure provides a great fertilizer for lawns and gardens, they are easy and cheap to care for and there are the obvious food benefits of having eggs from your backyard. Keeping chickens contributes to local food movements and to the practice of low-impact living whether in urban or rural environments.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Dimensions||75.5″ L x 50″W x 42.5″H|
|Assembly TIme||60 Minutes|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Handcrafted Portable Chicken Coop, Medium
- From Jean at 4/18/12 3:06 PM
- Do you need to assemble this? If so, how hard/easy is it to do?
- The Handcrafted Portable Chicken Coop is shipped flat so there is some assembly required. It takes about one hour to assemble.
The Coop comes with simple, clear instructions for assembly, and we have been impressed with the quality workmanship of the components. You will find that the screw holes line up perfectly and the components go together easily.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- A tree planted for every order with the Trees for the Future Foundation
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!