These durable beds are made in the USA from 100% recycled high-density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic, the same material used to make public picnic tables, litter bins, outdoor walkways and high-quality garden furniture. HDPE plastic withstands temperature extremes and will not leech any chemicals into your garden soil.
NOTE: These beds come in 4 sizes and 2 height choices. The 11” tall beds have 2 boards per side, and the 16.5” tall beds have 3 boards per side.To see the other sizes, click back to our Raised Beds category page.
These beds are easy to assemble, requiring no special tools. Once assembled, they require no maintenance, as you will never need to sand, stain, paint, or waterproof the plastic boards. The boards have a wood grain finish and each bed is available in five colors. The non-toxic color additives contain a UV protection package, which minimizes fading over time. The color is solid through the boards, so any surface scratches will be barely visible.
Available in 5 colors:
Each bed has two aluminum cross-braces which prevent the beds from bowing outwards when the soil is wet and heavy. (Some of the images do not show these cross-braces, but they are supplied with every bed.) A bottom liner of landscape cloth is also provided with each bed for people who want to install their bed on a cement patio, because the cloth will protect the cement from staining. (Beds installed on cement should be blocked up 1/4” to facilitate draining.) This landscape cloth is not recommended where beds are set on the ground, since the roots of your plants should be able to access the soil beneath the bed.
Because these beds are made of solid HDPE plastic, they are heavy. It will require at least two people to lift and assemble the pieces.
The recycled plastic used in these beds is mixed with minerals that add strength, increase durability, and decrease expansion and contraction. These recycled plastic garden beds are guaranteed to last, without cracking, rotting, peeling, or splintering. The plastic lumber is impervious to insects, mold, and mildew, and it is completely waterproof. Each bed is backed by a 50-year limited warranty. The beds can even be pressure-washed if you want to keep them looking like new over the years.
What is HDPE?
High-density polyethylene (HDPE) is one of the most commonly used plastics in the US, and is typically found in milk jugs, and some types of plastic bottles. It has several properties that make it ideal for outdoor garden products. It is stronger than standard polyethylene, and is resistant to moisture, insects, rot, and chemicals. It is easily recyclable, and creates no harmful emissions during its production or use by the consumer. In addition, it is non-toxic and leaks no toxic chemicals into the soil or water.
Included with each bed:
- Recycled 100% HDPE synthetic boards
- Recycled 100% HDPE support cleats and corner posts
- Two aluminum cross-braces to prevent bowing
- Landscape cloth bottom liner for installations on cement patios
- All stainless steel hardware
PLEASE NOTE: These beds are made to order. Customers should expect to wait up to two weeks before their order ships.
50 Year Manufacturer's Warranty
Recycling plastic contributes to reduction in resource consumption and pollution, instead creating new, reusable, eco-friendly products while keeping millions of pounds of waste from entering landfills. Because the plastic lumber uses no wood, it also reduces deforestation. The manufacturing process has a minimal environmental impact.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Dimensions||4' x 8' x 16.5"|
|Key Feature||Rot proof, non-toxic, recycled plastic raised garden bed|
|Assembly TIme||20 Minutes|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Recycled Plastic Raised Garden bed - 4' x 8' x 16.5"
- From Suzanne at 1/8/14 7:48 AM
- How much weight can the sides support for those who might sit on the edge, or try to lean a tall cart/wheelbarrow over the side wall?
- The Recycled Plastic Raised Garden beds are extremely durable. Because they are solid HDPE plastic, they have compressive strength. You can sit on the edges of the beds, or place a board diagonally across the corners for a more comfortable seat or to put your starter pots. You can lean a full wheelbarrow against the sides of the beds, and tip it over into the beds if the side height allows. These beds are heavy to unpack and put in place, but once installed they are rock solid.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From Sue Kuchta at 1/19/14 9:58 PM
- I want to put this on my deck. I don't see anywhere what kind of bottom it has. My deck is made from composite material also. I see you indicate a felt lining for putting this on a patio. Thanks for addressing this. I'm hoping you'll tell me it has a composite bottom also.
- Raised garden beds do not have bottoms. This applies to all brands and models. Sorry to disappoint you, but raised beds are designed primarily to be set directly on the ground (soil). This enables the plant roots to access space and nutrients below the bottom of the bed.
Yes, this manufacturer does include landscape cloth, so it is possible to set this on your deck. However, drainage should be provided. The spaces between your deck boards may suffice. However, your deck boards will become discolored over time as the silty drainage water contacts your deck boards.
This particluar bed, the recycled plastic model, is very heavy. Just want you to know, because you may need help bringing it to position on your deck. Once the bed is assembled, however, the weight works to your advantage. The sides are stable, and resist bowing outwards once the soil is watered and becomes heavy. The material is impervious to weather and will last decades. We think this bed is perhaps the most durable and long-lasting raised bed available. They are more expensive but the long lifespan makes up for the initial cost invested.
Planters, on the other hand, do have bottoms. Planters are designed for decks and patios since they are commonly elevated and the bottom is included. Planters, however, do not come in the large sizes that you find with raised beds.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!
I use these for my vegetable garden. They are very nice. They hold up well - some of mine are 6 years old - and they still look great. I am a senior gardener. I like these because I never have to till. Every year I add a litter fresh soil and some compost. I am very careful to rotate my crops. Sometimes I let one of the beds sit the year out - I use it for a compost bin. The following year - it has an amazing production of crops. It is November now and I am still picking tomatoes and eggplant.
Would you recommend this product to a friend? Definitely yes