What is a carbon credit?
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is produced when we burn fossil fuels (oil, coal, gas) to produce energy. Around the world, millions of tons of polluting CO2 is produced, contributing to climate change. A carbon credit (or carbon offset) represents the reduction of one ton of CO2 from our atmosphere.
LifeStraw® Carbon Credits are a product of and sold by Vestergaard, a Swiss based company.
How to offset your carbon emissions:
One way you can make an impact is by supporting certified projects that reduce the release of CO2, like the LifeStraw® Carbon for Water program in Kenya. In Kenyan villages, it’s common for families to burn wood to boil water to make it safe to drink. This is highly inefficient and releases large amounts of CO2 and other harmful greenhouse gases. When you purchase a LifeStraw® Carbon Credit, you’re helping provide LifeStraw® water filters to families in Kenya while offsetting your carbon footprint. To date, the LifeStraw® Carbon for Water program has provided water purifiers to over 4 million Kenyans, giving them sustainable access to safe water and eliminating the need to boil water and pollute the environment.
The impact your carbon credit purchase could make:
What you Receive:
About the LifeStraw® Carbon for Water ™ Program:
LifeStraw® Carbon for Water ™ is a registered carbon project based in Western Kenya that provides clean drinking water to households through distribution of LifeStraw® Family water purifiers. The program earns carbon credits because the LifeStraw® Family purifier eliminates the need to boil water for treatment. As a result, it reduces current and future emissions that arise from the practice of burning wood to boil water. The program is registered with the Gold Standard Foundation which facilitates sustainable carbon projects that have direct impact on development outcomes. Monitoring by an accredited independent auditor takes place every 6-12 months to verify use of the filters and emission reductions. Carbon credits are only issued after each verification. The credits available for purchase have been issued by the Gold Standard Foundation after completion of this rigorous process.
- The program is run by LifeStraw® manufacturer, Vestergaard, and is implemented in partnership with Kenya’s Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation and through collaboration with several other ministries including the Ministry of Education and the National Environment Management Authority.
- Vestergaard developed and launched LifeStraw® Carbon for Water™ in the spring of 2011 when close 877,505 LifeStraw® Family water purifiers were delivered to 91 percent of all households without access to safe water in Kenya’s rural Western Province.
- Each filter treats at least 18,000 liters of water, making it safe to drink, based on US EPA standards.
- To make sure that the water purifiers are operating effectively, Vestergaard has established 32 repair and replacement service centers throughout the area. The program also employs 46 full-time staff members to work at the service centers, provide ongoing community education and training, and ensure that the program is fully integrated into the local communities.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
- Shipping Details:
- Your certificate will be emailed to you. We do not mail a printed certificate.
Questions about the LifeStraw® Carbon Credits
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- A tree planted for every order with the Trees for the Future Foundation
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!