Eartheasy.com offers the Black Berkey purification element with our Berkey purification systems. Black Berkey is a specialty purification element that fits into all Berkey products and, unlike Berkey's Super Sterasyl Ceramic element, it can reduce or remove viruses and filters up to 3,000 gallons of water before needing replacement.
Berkey systems use micro-porous filtration, a process found in nature, combined with modern technology and high-quality materials to provide an exceptional water purification system. The Big Berkey with Black Berkey purification element will remove a wide range of viruses (up to 99.9999%), bacteria (up to 99.9999%), cysts and parasites as well as contaminants including herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, volatile organic compounds, detergents, cloudiness, silt, sediment, foul tastes and odors. The Black Berkey also removes chlorine to undetectable levels.
Water flowing through the Big Berkey has a long contact period with the purification element. Unlike other filters where water is forced through the element, water travels through Berkey filters along a tortuous path allowing water to stay in contact with purifying elements for an extended period. This allows you to purify treated water and untreated raw water from sources such as remote lake, streams, stagnant ponds and other unregulated water bodies.
Big Berkey Features:
- Made from highly polished 304 stainless steel
- Package includes two or four Black Berkey purification elements
- Gravity-powered, so requires no pumping or energy sources for purification
- Storage capacity of 2.25 gallons (8.5 liters)
- Purifies 3.5 gallons (13.3 liters) per hour
- System can be expanded to use 4 purification elements for purifying a maximum of 7 gallons (26.5 liters) per hour
- 19.25” in height, diameter 8.5”
- When not in use, the upper chamber sits within the lower chamber and stands 13”
1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty
SustainabilityFilters in Berkey Natural Purifiers can be cleaned and reused to prolong filter life. Drinking filtered water replaces the need for buying bottled water, and this reduces the environmental impacts associated with the manufacturing and disposal of plastic bottles.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. If you are in any way dissatisfied with a product you ordered, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. Simply email us the problem, and we'll take care of you. Certain products have extended warranties (up to 50 years!) that are listed on the particular product page. Please call us at 1-888-451-6752 if you need further clarification.
|Dimensions||14" in height, 4" in diameter|
|Key Feature||removes pathogens, volatile organic chemicals, synthetic organic chemicals and physical contaminants from water.|
|Origin||Made in the U.S.A.|
- Shipping Details:
- Insured against damage or loss while in transit
- This Product Ships To:
- US Lower 48
- Ships Via:
- Fedex or UPS
Questions about the Big Berkey Water Purification System
- From Courtney at 9/15/14 2:46 PM
- From Jim at 8/19/14 4:19 PM
- Will the Berkey remove microsystin?
- In light of the recent Algae Bloom and resulting contamination of the water supply to Toledo, Ohio New Millennium Concepts LTD who are the manufacturers of the Berkey products have released a statement.
Cyanobacterial cells range in size from 0.5-1 μm to 40 μm in diameter
The MS-2 virus is 24-26 nm in size. The Fr Coliphage virus is 25nm in size.
In other words, they are over 1,000 times smaller than Cyanobacteria and both are reduced or removed by the Black Berkey elements.
Finally, the EPA states that: “...Removal of total microcystins, M-LR, and M-LA, in water by granular activated carbon (GAC) can be very effective where the effectiveness is based on the empty bed contact time, the carbon's age, and possible biodegradation of the toxin.
There is much research in this statement that has led Berkey to feel confident that Berkey® water purification systems should be extremely effective at removing and reducing contaminates resulting from the current algae bloom.
- Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
- From dale at 9/2/13 12:22 PM
Ask Your Own Question
- No-hassle, 30 day returns
- No sales tax
- Quick shipping
- Secure shopping (SSL, PCI, McAfee Secure)
- In business since 2000
- Member of Better Business Bureau, Green America, and US EPA Watersense
- Carbon-neutral, Family-owned business that promotes sustainability!